Want to Volunteer?
Thank you for your interest in the sanctuary.
Our volunteer program is an important asset to the Sanctuary as it gives financial assistance as well as a good labor force.
You must be 18 or older, there is a thirty-day minimum stay for first time volunteers, and a nonrefundable fee of $45 per day for the first 30 days, $35 for the second 30 days, $25 for the third 90 days. Thereafter, all volunteer fees are waived, even upon returning another time.
You will receive three hardy meals a day, a sleeping space, laundry service, and three staff t-shirts. Meal preparation and clean up are among the daily duties.
The following application material is required and should be submitted electronically (PDF or Word document attachments) to Carol Patrick, email@example.com.
- Statement of Interest (no more than two pages, double spaced) that describes: a) your professional interests and career goals, b) your reasons for applying for this internship, c) why you should be selected for this internship, and d) your availability.
- College transcript(s) (official or unofficial copy) with all college-level courses you have taken to-date and the grades you have received.
- One letter of recommendation from an individual capable of commenting on you personally, or academic qualifications, or work experience. Letters of recommendation MUST be sent directly from the person writing the letter, preferably via email as an attachment or in the body of the email).
- Resume or curriculum vitae (no more than two pages) describing any relevant jobs, internships, volunteer work, scholarships and/or other activities that you have held or participated in and other skills or accomplishments that you wish to identify.
- A list of all medications and supplements. The is required because all meds and supplements are locked in a safe place to protect the monkeys in the event they get into the kitchen or dorm area. This is by no means a consideration towards your application.
Because of our infrastructure, we can house only two or three volunteers at a time. On a rare occasion there may be only one volunteer.
We are in a very remote area of Costa Rica being accessible only by boat. Once you are here, there is no walking anywhere for any type of social life. No alcoholic beverages or smoking is allowed.
The living area is very open, the walls are made of chain-link fencing. During the hours of 0600 to 1500, staff will be walking past this area, but not at any other time. We start working at 0600 and may not be finished until 1800 to 2000 or later-depending if we have infants or wildlife with special needs-but there is a lot of down time in between.
You must be able to take directions well, as deviations from protocols can create deleterious effects as well as putting yourself and others into danger. It is hard and demanding work, but incredibly rewarding.
Space available is on a first come, first serve basis with previous volunteers receiving the first options. If after reading the above, and volunteering is still of interest to you, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
Again, thank you for your interest in the Sanctuary, and I look forward to hearing from you.